Chicken Maryland Casserole
There’s nothing quite like comfort food to warm your heart and hungry belly on a frosty winter’s night. So, if you’re looking to treat your taste buds, look no further than this easy and tasty chicken Maryland casserole recipe.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 8 chicken legs
- 1 large brown onion, thinly sliced
- 3 celery sticks, cut into 2cm-thick slices
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 200 g portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2x 400 g cans of diced Italian tomatoes
- 1 chicken-style stock cube
- 1 cup frozen broad beans (thawed and peeled)
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- Freshly ground pepper
- 200 g pasta (spiral)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the chicken to cook. Turn occasionally for 5 minutes or until brown all over. Transfer chicken to a 2L capacity ovenproof casserole dish.
- Add onion and celery to the frying pan and cook. Stir for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic and mushroom, cook and stir for 2 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Finally, add tomato and stock cubes. Bring to the boil. Remove from heat. Add to the casserole dish with the chicken.
- Cover the casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid or foil. Bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until chicken is tender. Add broad beans and half the amount of thyme. Cook for a further 10 minutes or until broad beans are tender. Remove from the oven. Taste and season with pepper. Stand aside.
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water. Follow the packet directions regarding time, or cook until al dente. Drain well.
- Spoon the casserole into a large serving bowl. Sprinkle with the remaining thyme and serve up with pasta. Buon appetito! Enjoy your meal!